17 March 2020 for Bot Populi
Why we need a justice-oriented approach to data that centres an analysis of power relations.
10 January 2020 for The Correspondent
Identity cards – and, increasingly, digital identification – don’t just satisfy a bureaucratic function, they also play a role in shaping how we see each other and ourselves – if we let them.
16 May 2019 for Deep Dives
On the impossibility of flattening our fluid + complex identities into data points.
23 November 2018 for The Daily Dot
Five options were never going to be the answer to a lack of representation.
- Black Lives Matter protesters aren’t being tracked with Covid-19 surveillance tech. Not yet on 03 June 2020 for The Correspondent.
- We know what’s wrong with digital identification. Here’s what works on 04 February 2020 for The Correspondent.
- Bangladesh cuts access to mobile phone services for the Rohingya on 03 September 2019 for Global Voices. (es, el, mg)
- Searchable Databases as a Journalistic Product on 01 December 2018 for Data Journalism Handbook.
- Free speech advocates say Bangladesh's new Digital Security Act is ‘ripe for abuse’ on 28 September 2018 for Global Voices. (es)
- Bangladesh blasts off with their first ever satellite launch into space on 13 May 2018 for Global Voices. (mg, fr, es, ar, sw)
- Biometrics in the Humanitarian Sector on 27 March 2018 for The Engine Room.
- Ties That Bind: Organisational Security for Civil Society on 08 March 2018 for The Engine Room. (es)
- After 113 Days Behind Bars, #Istanbul10 Human Rights Defenders Are Released Pending Trial on 26 October 2017 for Global Voices. (es, fr, pa, ru)
- Irresponsible data? The risks of registering the Rohingya on 23 October 2017 for IRIN News. (it)
- #Istanbul10 Human Rights Defenders Have Been Behind Bars for 100 Days on 12 October 2017 for Global Voices. (cs, es, fr, ar, it, el)
- Human Rights Defenders Are Still Behind Bars in Turkey on 12 July 2017 for Global Voices. (mg, es, fr, el, ar)
- Digital Identification Systems: Responsible Data Challenges and Opportunities on 04 July 2017 for The Engine Room.
- My Manchester on 17 June 2017 for Real Life.
- Responsible Data at Oxfam: Translating Oxfam’s Responsible Data Policy into practice, two years on on 19 April 2017 for Oxfam.
- Where Are You Really From on 29 March 2017 for Real Life.
- The fine print: seeing beyond the hype in technology for human rights on 08 March 2017 for openGlobalRights.
- Close Calls on 26 January 2017 for Real Life. (it)
- 2016: A Year of Data-Driven Confusion on 12 December 2016 for Model View Culture.
- Technology Tools in Human Rights on 07 December 2016 for The Engine Room.
- Dangerous Data: The Role of Data Collection in Genocides on 21 November 2016 for The Engine Room.
- Internet politics: a feminist guide to navigating online power on 11 November 2016 for openDemocracy 50:50. (fr, es)
- Bangladesh Introduces ‘Smart’ National Identity Cards on 07 October 2016 for Global Voices. (es)
- When the Openwashing is Over: Protecting The Right To Know on 28 September 2016 for The Engine Room.
- Responsible Data in Agriculture on 16 September 2016 for The Engine Room.
- Feminist Tech Tools on 31 August 2016 for GenderIT.
- There's Finally a Programming Language in Bengali Script, Thanks to ‘Potaka’ on 30 August 2016 for Global Voices. (mg, ru, es)
- Bangladesh Shuts Down the Internet, Then Orders Blocking of 35 News Websites on 04 August 2016 for Global Voices. (mg, ru, es, sw, el)
- Civic Tech and Brexit: We Can Do Better on 28 June 2016 for The Engine Room.
- Brexit: Heartbroken, but not broken on 24 June 2016 for Global Voices. (es, it, ar, mg, ru, el, fr)
- Responsible Data Reflection Stories on 01 March 2016 for Responsible Data Forum.
- Five ways tech is crowdsourcing women’s empowerment on 03 February 2016 for The Guardian.
- The Potential Impact of Free Basics on SRHR Advocacy in Bangladesh [PDF] on 22 January 2016 for Arrow for Change (journal).
- Bangladesh Will Demand Biometric Data From All SIM Card Users on 22 December 2015 for Global Voices. (mk, es)
- Bangladesh Keeps Blocking Social Media, Threatens New Surveillance Tactics on 30 November 2015 for Global Voices. (mg, es)
- With Messaging Apps Still Banned, Bangladeshis Turn to Tor (and Twitter) on 25 November 2015 for Global Voices. (mg, mk, es)
- So you found a unicorn- what now? on 12 November 2015 for Data Journalism: Inside the global future.
- Citizen-generated Data and Governments: Towards a Collaborative Model on 26 October 2015 for DataShift.
- Getting Open Development Right on 01 March 2015 for The Fibreculture Journal.
- Women’s Victim Role & The Bangladeshi Liberation War on 14 December 2014 for The Aerogram.
- Shooting our hard-drive into space, and other ways to practise responsible development data on 01 October 2014 for Responsible Data Forum.
- Oil Contracts: how to read and understand them on 01 November 2012 for OpenOil.
- Exploring Oil Data: a Reporter's Handbook on 01 June 2012 for OpenOil.